Q.2 (ii):- What is water scarcity and what are its main causes?
Scarcity of water means shortage of water, an imbalance between demand and supply. Causes or the factors responsible for water scarcity are as follows:
1. growing population which is the main cause of water scarcity.
2. urbanization and industrialization which have increased the consumption of water.
3. wastage and injudicious use of water.
4. over-exploitation and mismanagement of water resources.
5. unequal access to water resources.
6. in post green revolution era, the commercial crops which are grown more, consume more water.