Q.16:- Were there any positive contributions made by the British in India? Discuss.
British rule exploited India in many ways. But, the ways to achieve the motives sometimes yield positive effects. Their exploitative programmes and policies resulted in some positive impact on India. Some of these positive effects were:
- Commercialisation of agriculture implied a good breakthrough in agriculture and resulted in self-sufficiency in fiSodgrain production.
- The development of infrastructure, railways and roadways generated new opportunities for economic and social growth and broke cultural and geographical barriers.
- Railways promoted commercialisation of agriculture through long distance movement of goods and it enabled people to move from one place to another easily.
- The supply of food and essentials could be made available to drought affected areas through transportation.
- Indian economy witnessed a huge expansion of monetary system and growth in production through division of labour and specialisation.