Q.13:- Underscore some of India’s most crucial economic challenges at the time of independence.
Most crucial economic challenges at the time of independence were:
- Little industrialisation and decline of handicrafts.
- Low agricultural output and high imports of grains.
- Low figure of national income and per capita income which showed extreme poverty.
- Very sluggish economic progress.’
- Unemployment and underemployment.
- Very high infant mortality rate, low life expectancy and low standard of living.