Q.3 :- How do social divisions affect politics? Give two examples
Social divisions affect politics in both negative ways and positive ways —
(a) Negative Impact If we observe social division and politics together at first sight
• It would appear that the combination of politics and social divisions is very dangerous and explosive.
• Democracy involves competition among various political units/parties. Their competition tends to divide the society.
In case political parties start competing in terms of some prevalent social differences it can further lead to social conflict and disintegration of society, e.g., Yugoslavia and Northern Ireland.
In Northern Ireland, there has been a violent and bitter ethno political conflict for many years.
In the same way political competition along religious and ethnic lines led to the disintegration of Yugoslavia into six independent countries.
(b) Positive Impact
• Wherever social division exists, they are reflected in politics.
• In democracy, it is only natural that political parties.
• Would talk about these divisions.
• Make different promises to different communities.
• Look after due representation of various communities.
• Make policies to redress the grievances of the disadvantaged communities.
• Social divisions also affect voting in most countries. People from one community tend to prefer some party more than others.
• In many countries, there are parties that focus only on one community, e.g., DMK, AIADMK, and BSP inIndia.