Q.14 Differentiate between metal and non-metal on the basis of their chemical properties.
1. Metals are electropositive.
2. They react with oxygen to form basic oxides.
3. These have ionic bonds.
4. They react with water to form oxides and hydroxides. Some metals react with cold water, some with hot water, and some with steam.
5. They react with dilute acids to form a salt and evolve
6. They react with the salt solution of metals. Depending on their reactivity, displacement reaction can occur.
7. They act as reducing agents (as they can easily lose
1. Non-metals are electronegative.
2. They react with oxygen to form acidic or neutral oxides.
3. These have covalent bonds.
4.They do not react with water.
5. They do not react with dilute acids. These are not capable of replacing hydrogen.
6. These react with the salt solution of
7. These act as oxidising agents (as they can gain electrons).