Q.:- Imagine that you are a merchant writing back to a salesman who has been trying to persuade you to buy a new machine. Explain in your letter what you have heard and why you do not wish to invest in the new technology.
A sample letter is given below —
23 October, 1790
This refers to your quotation regarding the new Weaving Machine which you want to sell to us. I am afraid I will not be interested to purchase it for the following reasons
1. The price of the machine is too high for the output that you claim it gives. I do not have such a large amount of money to invest in it.
2. I already have labourers doing the work by hand. There is no shortage of labour in the market and they are efficient.
3. Since the requirement is seasonal and I can lay off the workmen when work is not there, I save money at that time. The machine will always remain with me and I will always be paying interest on the loan to be taken for purchasing it, whether I am using the machine or not.
4. The machine can produce only standardized cloth, whereas different customers demand different designs. This, I can supply easily if the cloth is handmade.
5. Further, I have heard that in case the machine breaks down, it is very costly and time consuming to repair it, thus creating more problems in supply and finance for me.
For the above reasons, I regret I will not be in a position to purchase the machine offered by you.
TutionTeacher: Know free answers of your school textbook. You can find the correct answer of your School textbook question here. This education portal will help in getting the NCERT solutions for your exams. Here you will get the complete question answer and solution of your textbook for your better education. Your can also ask for online study and assignment help from menu. Online test series will also help you how to learn and achive better marks in your school or collage.