Q.11:- How has the consumption pattern of energy changed over the years?
Pattern of energy consumption in India is as follows:
- In India, different sources of energy are converted into a common unit ‘million tonne of oil equivalent’ (MTOE).
- At present, commercial energy consumption is 65 per cent of total energy consumed in India.
- Goal has the largest share of 55 per cent, followed by oil at 31 per cent, natural gas at 11 per cent and hydro energy at 3 per cent.
- Non-commercial energy sources account for over 30 per cent of the total energy consumption.
- There is import dependence on crude and petroleum products, which is likely to grow to more than 100 per cent in the near future.
- Atomic energy is an important source of electric power. At present nuclear/atomic energy accounts for only 2.4 per cent of total primary energy consumption.