Q.3 (ii):- How do industries pollute environment?
Industries are responsible for four types of pollution – air, water, land, and noise pollution. Following are the various reasons:
1. Air pollution is caused by the presence of high proportion of undesirable gases, such as sulphur dioxide and carbon monoxide.
2. Water pollution is caused by organic and inorganic industrial wastes and effluents discharged into rivers.
3. Thermal pollution of water occurs when hot water from factories and thermal plants are drained into rivers and ponds before cooling.
4. Wastes from nuclear plants cause cancer, birth defects and miscarriages.
5. Dumping of wastes especially, glass, harmful chemicals, industrial effluents, packaging, salts and other garbage render the soil useless.
6. Noise pollution is caused due to industrial and construction activities, factory equipment, generators, electric saws, drills and other machineries.