Q.12:- Do you think the navaratna policy of the government helps in improving the performance of public sector undertakings in India? How?
The government has decided to give special treatment to some of the important profit making PSUs and they were given the status of navratnas. These navratnas were granted financial and operational autonomy in the working of the companies. These navratnas are:
1. Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (IOCL)
2. Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (BPCL)
3. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL)
4. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC)
5. Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL)
6. Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Ltd. (IPCL)
7. Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BHEL) –
8. National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
9. Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL)
10. Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
11. Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (VSNL)
The granting of navratna status resulted in better performance of these. companies. The ‘ government partly privatised these companies through disinvestment.